Monday, February 27, 2012

old fashion sugar cookies

These yummy little babies call for a smidgen of real lemon juice, a sprinkling of course sugar, and turn out super soft.



Recipe from
martha stewart

Ingredients

  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest, plus 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, (2 sticks), softened
  • 2 large eggs
  • Sanding sugar, for sprinkling

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift flour, baking soda, and salt into a bowl; set aside.
  2. Put sugars and lemon zest in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed 30 seconds. Add butter; mix until pale and fluffy, about 1 minute. Mix in eggs, 1 at a time, and then the lemon juice. Reduce speed; gradually add flour mixture, and mix until just combined.
  3. Scoop dough using a 2-inch ice cream scoop; space cookies 2 inches apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Flatten cookies slightly with a spatula. Sprinkle tops with sanding sugar, then lightly brush with a wet pastry brush; sprinkle with more sanding sugar.
  4. Bake cookies until golden, about 15 minutes. Let cool on sheets on wire racks for 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks using a spatula; let cool completely. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days.
The Shabby Nest

17 comments:

  1. How yummy! I love a good ole fashioned sugar cookie. Thanks for sharing with the newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so yummy! I love just about anything with a little bit of lemon. :-) I found you through Debbiedoo's Newbie party. I'm now following and look forward to seeing more of your delicious recipes. Have a great day!
    Sharla

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those do look good! Warm sugar cookies and a cup of tea would go great right about now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love a traditional sugar cookie, Thanks for sharing this with us at the Sunday Round Up. See you next week.
    Rose @ http://www.arosiesweethome.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. The sugar cookies look great. Reminds me of my Grandmother who used to make them. I like the simple taste of a sugar cookie. Thanks for sharing the recipe at Your Cozy Home Party.--- Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adore old fashioned sugar cookies, pinning....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found you on milk and cuddles.... I love good ole fashioned sugar cookies...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmm...these look delish! Thanks for linking up!

    I'm pinning the recipe now...

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look scrumptious! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday this week. Sugar cookies are my Favorite! I love to use all the different colored sugars too.

    I can't wait to see what you link up next week. Have a wonderful weekend.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just to let you know, I featured your wonderful project today. Feel free to grab a featured button. Have a wonderful weekend.
    http://carolynshomework.blogspot.com/2012/04/inspiration-board-link-party-spotlight_27.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, I'm Jaime. I run a blog called The Dress-up Drawer and I was just passing through. Love your blog and these cookies look yummy!
    I have a great giveaway going on right now for a personalized platter from The Southern Belle Boutique and just thought it might interest you. Thanks for letting me say hi!

    http://thedressupdrawer.blogspot.com/2012/04/review-and-giveaway-southern-belle.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally Perfect!!! I'd love to have you share at my party...it JUST opened!!!

    http://www.itsoverflowing.com/2012/04/overflowing-with-creativity-19.html

    XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  14. shhh...don't tell anybody...but these are my favorite!! nothing fancy..just a good cookie!! this recipe looks delish! thank you for sharing at Uncommon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love a good sugar cookie. Now I just need an occasion to make these so I don't end up eating the whole batch myself. Thanks for sharing on Tout It Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! Visiting from Sundae scoop! YUM! I love a plain sugar cookie.. with a little milk its perfection!

    Im your newest follower! Would love a follow back if you like my site too :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from my readers. Thank you for your comment. No urls please.

09 10