A great week night alternative to classic apple pie!
"Before they taste this, people wonder at the lack of spices. If lovely fresh apples are used, the spices won't be missed." -The Apple Orchard
Danish Apple Pie
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups diced apples, peeled & sautéed in 1 tablespoon butter until soft
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Beat the egg, gradually adding the sugar and vanilla.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt and combine until smooth. Fold in the sautéed apples and the nuts.
- Pour into a buttered and floured 8" square pan.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, or until firm and just browned at the edges.
- Cut into squares and serve with the caramel topping and ice cream.
Caramel Apple Topping
"This is one of the simplest and most delicious ways to prepare to fresh apples. keep a jar on hand to serve over cake, ice cream, poured on cake or yogurt, with your morning granola or straight out of the jar with a spoon at two in the morning when you find yourself alone or hungry." -The Apple Orchard
- 4 sliced apples, peeled
- 4 tablespoon butter (no substitute)
- a pinch of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup cream or buttermilk
- Melt the butter in a heavy pan. Add the sugar and swirl until melted.
- Add the spices and apples and sauté until apples are tender.
- Add the walnuts and stir.
- Turn off heat and slowly stir in the cream.
- Serve immediately over ice cream or cake and keep the leftovers in a jar in the fridge.
Recipe Source The Apple Orchard by Susan Wiggs.
Sunday: |I Heart Naptime|Nifty Thrifty Things|It's Overflowing| MopItUp| Monday: | C.R.A.F.T.|Sumo'sSweetStuff|AnOriginalBelle | diy home sweet home | KeepingItSimple | Tuesday: Coastal Charm | SugarBeeCrafts | My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia|Get Your Craft On| WeMadeThat | diydreamer |Wednesday:|Savvy Southern Style | NYMelroseFamily | Gingersnap Crafts | LifeWithTheCrustOff | Thursday: The Shabby Creek Cottage| Made in a Day | House of Hepworths | the 36th Avenue | 52 Mantels Friday: Making Lemonade | Blissful and Domestic | One Artsy Mama | Serenity Now| The Shabby Nest |Thirty Handmade Days | Funky Junk Interiors | Financial Friday | Classy Clutter| Show&Tell