This really is the easiest ice cream cake you will ever make!
This really should be named the I-just-moved-cake.
This came about as a result of my little girl's birthday falling just days after we moved cross country for a summer internship. Since it was just for the summer, we packed pretty much just our clothes -I had no kitchen to speak of. I even bought the plastic platter the cake sits on!
So you really can just run to the grocery store the day before, purchase all the components, assemble, and throw a cute little party the next day.
(Obviously, my little girl was obsessed with Dora the Explorer at the time.)
Oh, and the guests at the party - total strangers. Both cute little families from Church we had just met, one who was also there for a summer internship like Handyman. We still get together with them when we're in the same town! So fun to make friends everywhere you go!
- 19 ice cream sandwiches
- 1 carton (12 oz) Cool-Whip, thawed
- 1 jar (11 3/4 oz) hot fudge topping
- 1 cup salted peanuts (optional)
- Cut one ice cream sandwich in half. Place one whole and one half sandwich along a short side of a 9x13 pan. Arrange eight sandwiches in opposite direction in the pan.
- Spread the fudge topping on top of the ice cream sandwiches, sprinkle with 1/2 cup peanuts.
- Spread half of whipped topping on top of sandwiches, fudge, and peanuts.
- Layer again with remaining 9 and 1/2 ice cream sandwiches, then the remaining whipped topping and sprinkle with the remaining peanuts.
- Cover and freeze overnight, or at least 8 hours.
Makes 12-24 servings depending on size.
Remove from the freezer 20 minutes before serving.
PS: I know the photo is not great -this was taken pre-blogging and pre-nicer camera days. But this "recipe" is just to good and easy to not share! Enjoy!